Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders

I must share something about myself, really quickly.  I don't eat yeast, and haven't for coming on 4 years, so when it comes to eating sandwiches, because, I totally want to eat sandwiches, I have to get creative on the "bread" component, and it has lead to some REALLY good recipes.

This idea was born from Oh, Bite It's Cheesy Biscuit Bombs. I realized I didn't just have to eat the biscuits alone, I could cut them open and shove things inside them, so I did!





For this recipe you will need the following:

A can of Flaky Layers Biscuits (the large one with 8 biscuits)
1 lb of ground chicken
Swiss cheese (can be shredded or slices)
8 slices of delicious deli sliced ham
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Garlic Powder, to taste
Smoked Paprika, to taste (optional)

You will also need:
Wax paper
 A large baking sheet with sides
Aluminum foil (non stick is best)
A frying pan, grill pan, griddle, or grill.

Start by opening your can of biscuits without having a heart attack. If you live somewhere that doesn't have biscuits, pre-risen pizza dough should work too.

Rip off a sheet of wax paper and put it directly on your counter so you can easily work with your biscuits (or don't... I just like being able to throw away something instead of cleaning everything).
Squish out your biscuits until they are flat and big enough around to stuff.



Then add your cheese. The more cheese you can get in there, the tastier it will be. Mine didn't have nearly enough cheese. You can also used sliced cheese instead of shredded. I forgot to buy my prefered sliced cheese so I improvised. Just cut your slices into squares and stack them inside the biscuits.



Next top each biscuit with one slice of ham. I folded mine to get it to fit. You could also slice it and stack it.


At this point, you want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Then we need to seal these suckers up. I pull up from the sides and gather them as I go around the biscuit.


And finally, you will end up with a roll shaped biscuit. Be sure to seal the dough well at the bottom so the cheese doesn't all fall out.


Place the 8 slider biscuit buns on a foil lined baking sheet, fold side down (again, it needs sides so that, should the cheese escape, you are not coating your oven with gloopy cheese). Pat them down some so they make a slightly wider bun.


Put them in the oven and set a timer for 15-18 minutes. I like to rotate mine half way through because the back of my oven is way hotter than the front.

Next, we need to deal with the chicken burgers.
Ground chicken is very loose. It falls apart easily, especially with no filler, so I help them along by putting them on non-stick foil when I am grilling them, so that they don't fall through the grill grate, or stick to the grill pan.

To form the 8 mini burgers, put your ground chicken in a bowl. Top the entire bowl of chicken with a fair sprinkling of salt and pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Then use your fingers to section off the meat into 4 equal triangles (so you would be sectioning them off using a + shape). Each section will produce two patties.
As your form you patty shapes, place them seasoned side down on a plate or directly onto that foil I was talking about. Then season the other side, once you have all the patties formed.



I used my grill pan this time, because it is way too cold outside to grill out there.
Again, you can see in my picture, I grilled them on the foil. It keeps them from falling apart, and it makes clean up a lot more easy, while still getting good grill marks.
Cook them on both sides until they are cooked through and have some good color on them.


And I would have pictures of the finished burgers for you, but alas, my pictures looked like I was on a tilt-a-whirl while trying to take them and I didn't want to make people woozy from looking at them. I'm doing you a favor, really.

By the time the burgers are done cooking, the rolls will be ready.


Then, slice those suckers open with a sharp knife and stuff a burger inside it and nom the heck out of them.
Maybe try a little honey mustard or mayonnaise to make that flavor pop. 




Mmm! Delicious, savory, smoky, YUM!



No comments:

Post a Comment